Ready for a great conference? From digital to walkable experiences, this guide will serve to enhance your time at the APA.
Walkable Hot Spots:
For the Sports Fan
- If you can’t make it to Dodger Stadium to watch the Dodgers take on Padres or to the Staples Center to see the LA Lakers meet the Denver Nuggets, there are a multitude of locations to watch your favorite team battle it out. For example, the ESPN Zone is hottest sporting attraction in the area, with over 150 large-screen HD TVs rockin' every sport played on a field, court, track, or ice, ESPN Zone at L.A. LIVE is the ultimate sports viewing experience. You won't miss a minute of the action.
For the Explorer
- If you happen to accidently find yourself walking out of the convention center to enjoy the nice southern California sunshine, be sure to check out the Grammy Museum. This 21st-century museum explores and celebrates the enduring legacies of all forms of music, the creative process, the art and technology of the recording process, and the history of the premier recognition of excellence in recorded music - the GRAMMY® award. After the Grammy Museum, catch the LA Metro (yes, they have public transit in LA), to the corner of Hollywood and Highland where you will be immersed in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. There is plenty of shopping and many restaurants. Take a tour of the Oscar’s Kodiak theater and a casual stroll down the Hollywood walk to fame.
Eat, Drink, n' Fun
- There is certainly no shortage of places to indulge in your culinary enjoyment. If your dining preference includes aged prime beef and Alaskan King Crab legs with over 100+ bottles of wine to choose from, Flemings Prime Steak house is the place to make your reservation. For the more casual diner, check out Boca at the Congo Room, Trader Vics, or the Yard House, where you will find that these restaurants have mastered the art of pairing good food with fun entertainment. Finally, if you are a more active diner make sure to bring you bowling shoes, Lucky Strike is a unique entertainment bar & restaurant that provides bowling lanes wrapped in a stimulating atmosphere of art, music, and an energetic crowd.
Hashtags and Tweets, Like to Follow
- #APA2012 - Join the conference conversations at APA by tweeting #APA2012 – This will tune you into the latest ideas shared by your fellow APA members.
- APA on Twitter – Follow APA keynote speakers such as Andrew Weaver or Ambassador Renée Jones-Bos. Read more about these speakers and other speakers. Also, make sure to follow the official APA Twitter feed at @APA12.
- Like APA on Facebook and stay connected with fellow attendees during and post the event.
- Live Conference Updates – Get complete and exclusive conference coverage all in one place! We will be blogging and tweeting straight from the event. You can also follow us on Twitter to get exclusive coverage of conversations, announcements, and hourly prizes.
APA iPhone App
Yes there is even “an app for that” – APA just released an APA iPhone app to make this conference even more of a success. Not only can you view your customized schedule, check out speakers and gain real time access to the conference twitter feeds, but you can also use this APA everyday when you get home. This app provides a daily planning news digest, latest job openings and allows you to connect with other members nationwide using the member directory.
APA Android App (UPDATE!)
Just released on Friday the 13th, the APA mobile app is now available for Android phones as well!
Convention Center Hot Spots
- Check out the APA Pavilion where you can access the internet to check email, check in for your flight, or log your educational credits. You can also meet with APA staff and get assistance about the conference, check out the bookstore or just relax, lounge and network with fellow attendees.
- Working in the Firm Sessions: Stop by the exhibit hall Sunday and Monday from 12:00-1:00pm and join one of the Working with the Firm roundtable discussions. These discussions were designed specifically by APA to allow you to meet with specific companies and vendors that you are interested in speaking to without any pressure of walking through the exhibit hall.
- Booth #436 – Coffee… or champagne! Learn about the top technologies that are helping planning departments and commission become more transparent, cost efficient and collaborative with their communities. Not only is the Granicus booth educational, you can connect with fellow members by joining the APA conversation at our social media corner. You can also enjoy complimentary espresso drinks and champagne at our Collaborative Café and lastly, you can win many prizes in our booth throughout the event. Visit the booth and follow our complete coverage of the conference to learn more.